Friday, June 14, 2013

Powder Room Day 2: Tiling

While the guys worked on installing new windows on the front of our house, I started re-building the powder room. First thing I test fit the vanity, in order to do so I had to remove the door trim on that side, it fits very tightly in the space and doesn't even need screws to stay in place. After discovering there are no studs in that part of the room, I drilled pilot holes for the screws that would hold it up and removed it until I could get proper anchors.

Next I laid out the floor tiles and cut any that needed to be. One trip to Canadian Tire for anchors later, the vanity was back in place and screwed securely to the wall.
After hanging the vanity, I tried to install the sink. When I bought it, I knew that I would have to remove some of the drywall to get it to fit as it was ¼” wider than the room. I test fit the sink, cut off some drywall on both sides of the room and test fit again. It was tight and not sitting quite flat, so I tried to remove it. I guess it was a little stuck and I twisted it a little while I pulled…and it cracked in 2!  Sh#t. Apparently I am super strong. 
This was quite the setback. The sink goes in, then the tile goes in as it starts just above it, so without the sink, the whole project would be setback. After venting my frustration a bit, I re-grouped and decided to keep moving on the tiling. I installed a piece of wood the equivalent of 4 lines of tile up from the sink, secured it to the wall and started tiling up from there. Using only full tiles I did the wall and will go back later to add the smaller pieces needed around the sides and top.
Once the wall tile was up, I put in the floor tile that I had already laid out. Installing it went fast but I ran out of adhesive for the last 2 tiles. By this time it was about 7 pm, so I called it a day.
And now we know: those damn porcelain sinks can’t take my super strength. It will take 4 days to get a new sink in and there is now no way I can finish this project by the time I go back to work. So irritating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment