Thursday, June 13, 2013

Powder Room Day 1: Demolition

Now that we are back from vacation, I started working on a facelift of the powder room on our main floor. To start Tom and I removed the toilet, sink and vanity. From there I ripped out the vinyl floor and all the stuff hanging on the walls. 
As you can see the cat was very helpful with this endeavour. 
In the adjacent den, I ripped out the carpet and baseboards. Underneath was hardwood, which is awesome and it’s in good condition so even better news! I’d like to sand it down, for continuity of flooring and cost savings, Tom wants to still put the cork down, for dust savings. We’ll see which way this goes…
Since I still wanted to tile the bathroom floor, I installed a sub floor using ¼” plywood I already had on hand. This is not the ideal material for a sub floor, but is the best solution for this situation as the hardwood is already solid and a thicker material would create an extremely large height discrepancy between the 2 rooms. With the plywood and the tile the difference will be about ½”.
And now we know: so many things; there is hardwood in these rooms and they built the bathroom walls overtop. There are random metal plates in the den floor…what could it be covering, the vents are in the wall. There are special screws just for sub-floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment