Friday, October 12, 2012

The Kitchen: Reno Day 8

After another coat of black paint on the base cabinets, we ripped up the paper on the floor and gave it a good cleaning in preparation for applying a clear coat.
Over the course of the day, I put FIVE coats of clear water based semi-gloss verathane on the floor. Every 2 hours I put on another coat, cutting in with a brush, and then using a flat pad attached to a pole for the main areas. I finished up the final coat at 9 pm. 
In between coats, I put 2 coats of clear polycrylic on the backs of the doors. 
And 2 coats on the drawer fronts. Since I used matt black paint, the clear coat gave them some shine and the durability they need in a kitchen.
And now we know: all those coats and the time sanding really paid off…the floor looks amazing. Also that clear coating dries incredibly fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment