Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Kitchen: Reno Day 6

After a nice long weekend in Vermont, we are back at it. To start, Tom put the dishwasher back in so that the plumber could connect it when he arrived.
The new double sink was also put in and connected by the plumber. It’s very nice to have running water again. 
Next I worked on filling in the gap between the dishwasher and the corner cabinet. It was about 4” and I was waiting until the dishwasher was in place so that it fit perfectly. Using scrap oak I built a frame to act as support and a toe kick to mimic the rest of the cabinets.
For the front panel I used ¼” plywood, same as the cabinet doors, which was sanded and primed. Once nailed and glued in place, I filled the holes in preparation for painting.
Another gap that needed filling was to the left of the stove, where another one of those gable ends meant the counter did not sit flush with the cabinet end. Here I just cut scrap oak to the right width and installed them to again mimic the shape of the cabinet.
Once all the cabinet gaps were filled, I cut plywood, sanded it, primed it and installed it on the back of the island. 
To finish prepping it for painting, I filled the nail holes and caulked the corners on the plywood. The end where we cut to accommodate the counter needed some filling aswell…lots of filling and sanding and more filling and more sanding to get it looking presentable again. 
Work on the pantry continued, the face frame got assembled and primed, then installed. Although I used a lot of glue and finishing nails, it still seems a little less secure than it should, I am considering where I can add some blocking for additional strength.
The final task of the day was putting the first coat of black paint on all the cabinets. Its funny how much of a difference paint makes; all of a sudden the cabinets look much more polished and complete.
And now we know: well still learning my lesson about those gables, they are the gift that keeps on giving in this kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment