Monday, October 1, 2012

The Kitchen: Reno Day 2

Well I think all of us taking part in this reno can say that steaming tar off a floor is not a fun job. In the end it took all day to get the floor cleaned off. 
The method we used was to let the steamer sit on the paper for a long time, maybe 15 minutes. Then using a metal scrapper, the top layer and most of the adhesive, would come off. For the remaining residue, a hard bristle brush dipped in hot water with Mr Clean loosened things up. Finally, using a rag, anything remaining was wiped off. Repeat this in 12” section for the entire room, with tar fumes and you understand the unpleasantness.
Early in the day we tried chemical stripper instead, but only resulted in making the room smell even worse and making ourselves light headed. It didn’t even really work that well. This was one situation where patience to let the steam work was the best way.
Right before lunch our countertop was delivered. It’s beautiful, I’m glad I went for the flat edge, it is very clean looking. Although I booked the delivery for today, it was only 2 weeks from order, not the typical 3 weeks, so I was half expecting it not to show up. I was very happy that it did and that everything was exactly as ordered.
My mother and husband did much of the work on the floor while I filled holes and sanded the upper cabinets. The paint was peeling and there were lots of gaps along the shelves inside. Honestly it looks like these cabinets were built with scrap wood; some of it is in such crappy condition.
Along the bottom I installed a strip of wood, this completes the face frames and the doors will sit on top. As you can see I still need a solution for those gaps over the microwave shelf, it looks silly right now.
And now we know: steaming is the best way to remove tar/mastic/black adhesive stuff. By the end of the day our technique was refined and very effective, still not fast though.

No comments:

Post a Comment