Sunday, November 6, 2011

Visit to the Wood Store

Off to one of my favourite places; the wood store. Too bad its hours are terrible, but anyways. I got up early Saturday and headed out with a friend. I was looking for wood for the pair of chairs I want to build, maybe oak cause it is hard with lots of grain but is cheaper than other species like maple. My friend was looking for a variety of woods in small quantities to make a block set with.

This was a very lucky trip for me, I wanted to spend as little as possible and it ended up being about $150 for all the wood I needed. We both started in the leftover cuts section, where the pieces are not full length, mostly 24” to 48” sections of all sizes and species. There was not enough 2x2’s in white oak, so I went with red oak and got all the pieces I needed except for the 2x8x8 to cut the back rails from. This I got from their stock and it was almost half of the total cost. Not only did we save a ton of money with the small pieces, but we could close the truck on our way home.

I finished 4 of the 5 items on my to-do list before I bought the wood. Seems pretty good to me and the last thing, which was to fix the latch on the bedrooms door, is not urgent anyway.

And now we know: it takes some time and pre-planning to sort through the cut pieces to get what you need but the amount you save is amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment