Saturday, November 12, 2011

Painting the Front Room

I painted the front living room before we moved into the house and it has never been quite right. The shade of blue and the curtains were just slightly off and it bothered me to no end.

For the past month I’ve had paint swatches up on the wall, I started with blues and went through the whole spectrum from grey-blues to turquoises. I could never find the perfect shade that would go with everything and still be something I loved. Finally I went for what a really wanted; purple!

Unfortunately my husband was no so happy with this new direction; he flat out vetoed the dark red-purples and was very unhappy I was painting at all. He loves blue, never mind that almost every room in our house is blue as it is the 1 colour he agrees to easily. Still I went ahead and chose a grey mid tone purple.

My mum came to help me paint for the day and a few hours later the room was transformed. I am very happy with the new colour, it seems less matchy-matchy and more interesting to me. Tom just grunted ‘my living room is purple’ when he saw it. This really should have been a project done while he was away for the weekend.

I also tackled another eyesore, the upstairs hallway. The patching and spot priming had been done for a while but I was not looking forward to painting all those hard to reach spots. Turns out that paint and primer stuff was sh#t. It took and entire can to do 1 coat and it is super streaky. For the second coat I am switching back to the cheaper, yet less craptastic stuff. Another $30 bites the dust. On the positive going from cream to white has made it much brighter. On the negative the trim now looks even worse.

And now we know: I don’t actually know what is the point of paint and primer in one if you still have to do 2 coats and you wouldn’t have primed anyways? Same amount of work more cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment