Saturday, May 31, 2014

Our House’s 5th Anniversary

We’ve now been in our house 5 years and a hell of a lot has changed in that time. I’ve learnt a ton about woodworking and renovation and Tom has gotten slightly more comfortable with me working on the house. Here is a room by room overview of the progress we’ve made to our home.

Front Entrance:
Completed Projects: painted, replaced light, built shelving in the closet
Furniture I built or re-did: upholstered/painted bench
Still to do: finish patching/painting the ceiling
Front Room:
Completed Projects: painted (twice), new window, replaced light
Furniture I built or re-did: upholstered round chair, painted bookcase, built end tables
Still to do: finish patching/painting the ceiling

Dining Room:
Completed Projects: painted, new light, painted border
Furniture I built or re-did: dining room table, set of chairs (almost done!)
Still to do: ideally open up the wall between this room and the front room
Back Room:
Completed Projects: painted, new light, new windows, hardwood floor installation
Furniture I built or re-did: 2 chairs, end table, ottoman, chaise lounge
Still to do: build a new TV cabinet, paint the window trim

Kitchen:
Completed Projects: complete gut of the space including re-finished the hardwood floor, cabinets, countertop, backsplash, painting, new light
Furniture I built or re-did: all the cabinets/doors, floating shelves
Still to do: re-paint the white cabinet doors where knots in the wood are showing through, patch doorway trim to front entrance

Tom’s Den:
Completed Projects: painted, new window, re-finished the hardwood floor
Furniture I built or re-did: added a shelf to the desk
Still to do: replace light, add a door to the closet, paint the door
Powder Room:
Completed Projects: complete gut of the space including tiled the floors, tiled the wall, new light, new sink and faucet 
Furniture I built or re-did: built floating vanity
Still to do: paint the door
Staircase & Hallway:
Completed Projects: re-finished hardwood treads, re-finish hardwood floors, painted risers and walls, new light, new hall closet
Furniture I built or re-did: none
Still to do: small paint touch ups from the floor sanding
Master Bedroom:
Completed Projects: new window, installed 2 closets, painted, new light
Furniture I built or re-did: 2 dressers
Still to do: paint the window trim 
Bathroom:
Completed Projects: complete gut of the space including tiled the floors, tiled the shower, new bathtub, new shower fixtures and faucet 
Furniture I built or re-did: vanity
Still to do: replace light 
Second Bedroom:
Completed Projects: painted, new rod/shelf in the closet, new light
Furniture I built or re-did: none
Still to do: re-paint the white upper half of the room (did not cover well), paint the trim  
Basement:
Completed Projects: ripped out 90% of the old finished basement
Furniture I built or re-did: none
Still to do: finish demo of the space, put the bathroom back in and finish the space
Exterior:   
Completed Projects: new porch 85% completed, painted the front door, roof repairs, dug part of the foundation
Furniture I built or re-did: none
Still to do: repair/paint the parging, deal with the driveway area where the concrete was removed, re-do the front walk-way, add a brick edge to the flower beds, re-seed or sod the front lawn
Overall the top 2 floors of the house are in good shape; most of the work left to do is paint touch up or decorative. The basement has barely been touched and I like it that way; I love having a workshop. Going forward I would like to put up a wall between the shop and the laundry/storage, so there is less transfer of dust into that side.

The exterior of the house is another matter; we’ve got a lot of projects to do to give it more curb appeal. I’ve been so focused on getting the inside to where I want it to be that I’ve neglected to do much outside. Also I’m not a fan of gardening. The front porch construction was the first real step for me to start transforming the outside.

We’ve come a long way in the past five years and I think Tom would agree that we are happier than ever in our house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment