Monday, May 19, 2014

Front Porch Construction Part 3 – Cutting the Stair Stringers

At this point in the project most of the heavy lifting was behind us and I was mostly on my own to do the precision wood stuff. Although sick with a cold, Tom did help me spread gravel and remove the form from the concrete pad.
I spent much of the rest of the day working on cutting the 4 stair stringers from 2x12’s. Once we had the frame and concrete pad in place, the height ended up being 1” less that anticipated, so I had to adjust all my stair calculations. The risers ended up being 6 5/8” and the treads 10 1/8” each.
Installation of the 4 stringers was next, I had bought brackets for this and they went in easily. Good thing too as I had to do it twice...once they were in place I realized the middle too were sticking out too far and had to be cut down slightly. This was due to my design for the riser, I wanted them installed without the ends showing on the sides and had cut little lips into the stringers to accommodate this. In the end all was in back place with blocking between.
Finally I got the boards for the stair risers installed; 1x6 fence boards screwed in place. There are also a few deck boards cut to size, but none of those are screwed in place yet.
And now we know: from a time perspective I understand why people buy the pre-made stringers, it is very time consuming to make them yourself...but overall cheaper and better made and more customizable...so I think it was worth the time 

No comments:

Post a Comment