Sunday, January 6, 2013

Trim Work and Hanging Shelves

Before I start a new project, I’m committed to finishing up many of the small items that need completing. This includes one of my least favourite things to do: painting trim. Quite awhile ago I patched the door frames in the upstairs hall, but never painted them. This weekend I got out the small roller and gave them 2 coats of paint.
While I had the trim paint out, I put 2 coats on the upstairs railing. From far away it looked okay, but up close you can see all the chips and worn areas.
After the 2 coats it looks much cleaner. It was a pain to paint but did not take as long as I thought it would.
Next to do were hang the shelves in the kitchen. They are spaced about 4” apart, just enough for the spice bottles. There is a wider gap at the bottom to allow for the salt and pepper grinders.
And now we know:  this design of shelves, where you screw through the back piece to hang then, is much stronger than the previous type where I used hanging hardware. You can’t even see the screws once stuff is on the shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment