Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Floating Shelves

The floating shelves that were in the kitchen prior to the renovation no longer work with the new layout, especially the ones on the left that aren’t over a cabinet.
During the construction I removed 2 and patched the holes, but left the others for function until I could build replacements.
Now that Christmas is over, I had some time to build the new shelves. Over the past few months, I’d been sketching and my favourite concept had 4 shelves with a reveal detail along the front

Using pine boards, I build basic shelves then routered a ¼” detail that runs along the front and side. 
To emphasis this detail, I painted it black like the kitchen cabinets and left the rest the natural pine. The finish is the same as the kitchen floor; I had some left over and it is super durable with a nice sheen. 
And now we know:  I really like the Verathane finish for floors, I wonder what the difference is between this and the Minwax polycrilic, they are both water based.

No comments:

Post a Comment