Sunday, November 25, 2012

Switching Up the Chair Cushions

 Last year I built 2 chairs for the back room and they've never seemed quite right to me. I found them uncomfortable and too hard, you didn't sink into the cushions. Also the back cushion was almost 2 inches higher than the wood frame, making it look funny.
Finally I decided to try replacing the back cushion. I bought 2” foam (replacing 4”) with batting around it, but it looked even worse since it was so much thinner that the seat, and was not that much better in terms of comfort. In the end I stuffed each cover with 2 standard pillow forms wrapped in batting. This is much more comfortable and because it is less structure, they now line up with the top of the wood frame.
And know we know: try out 1 chair before buying both pieces of foam…I now have 2 extra 4” pieces and 2 extra 2” pieces of foam

No comments:

Post a Comment