Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Kitchen Reno: Some Painting and Some Progress

After my problems with the paint flaking off the melamine, I consulted an expert and got an oil based primer. Most of the pieces just needed sanding, but for the island wine cubbies, I actually used a metal scrapper and the paint came off in chunks.
Once they were all white (ish) again, I put on the primer, luckily it adhered really well.
For the island I put together the end panel that will face the fridge. It is about 4 ½” wide and has a shaker look like the doors. I ran out of oak and refused to pay $50 for a piece, so I used pine for the ends. 
Although the pantry is too large to be assembled in the basement, I did attach the shelf supports to the side panels. 
I also completed the pantry doors. They are much larger and heavy than I anticipated…it took Tom, my brother and myself to get them glued together. You just needed lots of hands to get everything lined up at the same time.
The front room is now even more chaotic...
And now we know: well I know the way to properly paint melamine now and that an 8 ft high pantry door is going to need a lot of hinges…

No comments:

Post a Comment