Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Kitchen Reno: And the Pressure Is On

All of a sudden time seems to be sneaking up on me and I am feeling stressed about all the work still to do before our install date of October 1st. What happened to the month of September and all those free weekends???

My plan was to have the base cabinets complete by the end of the weekend, leaving the doors, drawers and bases as the only remaining work. I will tell you now I was not successful. To start I cut, sanded and primed the shelf supports then installed the shelves in the cabinets
.
Before I could attach the face frames, I wanted to get the wine slots painted, so I started with the black. The first coat was fine, but as soon as I started with the 2nd coat it was chipping and scratching like crazy. Not sure what to do, I tried a coat of primer overtop, which also chipped, so I abandoned it for the time being.
By this time all the cabinets except the sink one had migrated upstairs into our front room and I attached the corner cabinet and the one to the left of the stove together. This is now enormous and hard to rotate.
The face frames for 2 of the cabinets got attached with the finish nailer and the holes filled. They still need a coat of paint or 2, but that’s not a priority right now.
 Sanding and priming of the drawer fronts is also complete now…
As is priming of the lower cabinet doors
The front room is looking a more than a little chaotic at this point…
And now we know: don’t paint directly on melamine. Don’t prime directly on melamine. After consulting a professional I was advised to sand them use a special primmer. Not looking forward to sanding all those wine slots…

No comments:

Post a Comment