Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Kitchen Reno: Building Doors and Migrating Upstairs

This weekend was all about assembling the doors and drawer fronts for the lower cabinets. Since the boards were already cut to length for the outside of the doors and drawer frames, I spent some time routering a ¼” groove into the inside edge of the door frame pieces. This is what the centre panel will sit in. 
Once the biscuit joints were cut, the boards were assembled in pairs to form corners. 
Then I cut all the central panels out of ¼” plywood, filled any problems areas and sanded them down. After the first pairs glued overnight, I assembled the doors with the plywood panels in the middle. 
The island cabinet got a back on one side and migrated upstairs into the front room. It is the first cabinet to make it out of the shop. To cover the front edge of the wine slots, I cut and primed small pieced of oak which got nailed in place.
All the face frames that are assembled got sanded and primed, ready for a coat of black paint.
The backs of the face frames did get painted and the black is a great colour. I’m waiting on painting the fronts until they are nailed to the cabinets.
And now we know: I’m happy to actually see my door design in practice and really glad that the construction method worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment