Sunday, March 23, 2014

Upholstering Dining Chairs Part 3 - Sewing the Cushion Covers

As part of the design of these chairs, I wanted a detached cushion. I can’t remember why, but ultimately I think it’s a nice look. To start them, I cut a template of the seat shape and traced it onto my fabric.
Then it is simply a matter of pining and sewing into the shape of the cushion. Probably would be easier without Ella’s help.
 I’ve also been working on cutting the foam to the shape of the seat. The electric knife is a lot easier and faster but it is still tricky to cut the foam. These are currently 2” thick but they feel a little too dense and a little too high for me.
 And now we know: I’m not sure what to do about the cushions here. I have 4 cushion covers completely sewed and 4 half done, all at 1 ¾” thick for the 2” foam. If I try to cut the foam down it will be imperfect (which I think I could mitigate with a few layers of batting) and time consuming. But it I leave it as is it will always bother me...so I will do some test fits and probably adjust the thickness of the foam...

No comments:

Post a Comment