Sunday, January 26, 2014

2nd Bedroom Closet Re-Fit

A couple of months ago, when we had the second bedroom empty to work in the attic, I did some work on the closet. Before it had a weird pole running the wrong way, front to back instead of right to left, just like the master bedroom used to.
I took out the pole, added some bracing and hung a new rod right to left. 
Above the rod I added some supports for a shelf, the tricky part being the angled wall and cutting the piece to fit there. At the time I didn’t have a piece of wood for the shelf and so this was left unfinished.
Finally I got back to it and started by priming the entire closet. I added the shelf and trimmed it out at the front with a piece of pine. It turned out a little thicker than I would normally make a shelf, as I used thicker support pieces and wanted to cover the ends of those.
Then I put on a coat of white paint on everything; walls, shelf, trim and door to the attic. It’s a big improvement, both in functionality and appearance.
And now we know: what I wish I knew was why they installed the bars like that in the first place, it’s not in the least functional and entirely possible to orient them properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment