Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Kitchen Reno: Cabinets Start to Take Shape

I am so excited to see the cabinets start to take shape! I started with the bank of drawers to the right of the stove and assembled the box. First I tried using biscuit joints but it was time consuming and hard to align so I switched to pocket screws.
Then I assembled the box for the sink cabinet.
I also have the parts ready to assemble the pantry, but since its ceiling height, I will have to assemble it in place.

From there I started working on the face frames for the 2 cabinets using the oak. These I assembled with glue and pocket screws as well. I made a calculation error with the frame for the bank of drawers’ right of the stove; I forgot that the heating vent protrudes an inch into the room and that the face frame on that side should be wider to accommodate. Luckily I caught the mistake before the glue set and was able to fix it with replacing only 1 piece.
And now we know: I think I am making good progress but with all the events set for August, we may have to delay installation until October.

No comments:

Post a Comment