Sunday, April 29, 2012

Light Changes in the Front Room and Outside

Finally, finally, we installed the ceiling fan in the front room. This was a 4 blade grey one that was in the back room when we first bought the house.  During our first year living here, we replaced it with a large (and prettier) fan and this grey one has been in the basement ever since. At first I procrastinated cause the grey colour looked terrible with the blue walls, but since I changed them to purple and summer is on its way, there was no longer any excuse. 

Continuing with my themes of changing light fixtures and adding some curb appeal, we also changed out the exterior light. This is a fancy one with 2 levels of brightness and a motion detector. Turns out the old light was secured with a bunch of screws that went into the siding and not much else. Not very strong! We added a couple of really long crews that went into whatever is below the siding (Brick? Stucco?) and those seemed to make it a lot more secure. 

Inside, I sewed a new tablecloth to fit the large dining room table.


Also attempting to move along with trim painting progress, I sanded down the door jamb between the front and dining rooms. I started hand sanding but with the years on paint build-up I had to get out the electric sander. Using plastic drop-sheets, I created a tent so the dust would be contained. It worked but was very unpleasant; I was completely covered in dust and really hot by the end. Tom was happy that the mess was minimal and contained!

And now we know:  both the home improvement store sell the same line of motion activated light fixtures, so comparison shopping is a waste of time

No comments:

Post a Comment