Sunday, November 14, 2010

Building a Table For My Parents: Part 2, Drawer Problems

First attempt at drawers: drawer slides: 1, me: 0. I was unsure of how tightly the box should fit inside the cavity, so assembled all of the table except the top and then measured with the slides in place for the drawer box. After attaching the slides to the box and cavity, the drawer was sliding really poorly, you had to really put some muscle into opening and closing it. Thinking it was too tight, I shaved 1/8” off each side, put the slides back on and tried again. It still didn’t run smoothly.

I did some research on the net, downloaded the CAD file for the slides and poked underneath various drawers in peoples houses. Finally after a lot of thought, I realized the piece of the slides attached to the inside of the table were on upside down and should be switched with the other side. I reversed them and the drawer runs perfectly.

And now we know: drawer slides should come with instructions, apparently it is not self-evident which way is up.


No comments:

Post a Comment