Sunday, March 17, 2013

Basement Wood Rack

A few months ago I got a shelving bracket system sale. The plan was to get some of my wood off the floor and better organized. Here is the corner of the basement where I planned to install it.
This system screws into the wall…but our basement is concrete block and since it cost a lot of money to fix all the holes, I’m not about to create any new ones. It took me a while to figure out the best way to hang the brackets to support all the weight of the wood.

In the end I used 2x4’s and built a rectangular frame with a brace in the middle. From there I hammered it in place so it was sitting on the floor and touching the underside of the ceiling framing. I screwed it into the ceiling at the top and built triangular supports at the bottom to keep it from falling forward. There is no wood on it yet but it feels pretty secure.
The brackets start at 36” off the floor so my router table can tuck underneath when I’m not using it. 
And now we know: The internet is great, I searched for free-standing wood racks to get some ideas for the design and there were so good options.

No comments:

Post a Comment