Sunday, February 24, 2013

Part 2 of a Kitchen Unit for my Mum

Much like the kitchen cabinets, I plan on building a base of 2x4’s for the pine unit to sit on. I like this method of construction as it is easier to level the base then install the rest and it also creates a nice toe kick area. Unfortunately the 2x4’s were none too straight, leaving me to cut strategically and waste a lot of wood. I hate that! 
For trimming out the front, I cut 1” thick pine boards into 1 ¼” strips. From there I cut them to size for the vertical stiles along the front. These will also be cut to trim out the top surface. The top pieces are just resting on top for now, as are the stiles, everything still needs to be jointed and glued.
And now we know: triple check 2x4’s I guess, I thought they were all straight when I examined them in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment