Sunday, February 10, 2013

Part 1 of a Kitchen Unit for my Mum

For years my mum has wanted a unit to clean up the corner of her kitchen, with cubbies for baskets and shoes. I've been refining the plans for over a year, I just couldn't get them to a point I was happy with. After reducing the number of baskets it would hold, the plans are finalized.
It’s a corner unit with 3 towers for cubbies, angled corner section and a bench next to the door. 
Recently laminated pine sheets were on special, so we bought enough for the unit. This weekend I cut them down and drilled the pocket holes.
For the cubbies, I decided to do adjustable shelves and bought little shelf supports that fit into ¼” holes. This meant drilling lots and lots of holes. I used pegboard clamped to the pine to align the holes, then drilled each with a bit marked for depth with tape. 
Once everything was cut and the holes were drilled, I began the assembly of the boxes. This is the 2 cubbies on the right side of the unit, they will each have 2 shelves and the bench will be on the right of these.
This is the corner section and the left hand cubby. The unit will stay in 2 pieces like this until I get it to my parents house, otherwise it will not fit in the car or through doorways.  Next to do is cut the top to fit, create a base for it to sit on and get some nice wood to trim out the front.
And now we know: after I rolled sandpaper into tubes and painstakingly sanded each hole for the shelf supports, I realized that this would have been a great use for my Dremel. So next time I have a hundred holes to sand I have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment