Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sofa Repairs

Our lovely cat seems to enjoy destroying the sofa in our front room. She sharpens her claws in the corner and picks out the upholstery tacks that outline the arms. Needless to say, the sofa is beginning to look worse for wear.
While Tom was out of town, I took the front section off and repaired the damage as best I could. All the tacks got removed and I cut ¼” MDF to the shape of the arms. After adding a layer of batting, I covered the MDF with fabric and nailed it back onto the sofa. 
In some areas the fabric had loosened with time (or gotten holes from someone’s claws) so I pulled it tight again and added some more staples. It looks a lot better, hopefully the layer of tin foil I added under the fabric will deter the cat from future clawing.
And now we know: it is a lot easier to flip a couch onto its back that to get it back upright. I had to phone a friend to help me get it back upright before my husband got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment