Sunday, January 15, 2012

Great Progress on the Chairs

The chairs are almost done and I’m really happy with the way they are turning out! I started work this weekend with stretching the webbing on the 2 remaining frames for the backs. Using shorter staples that I had bought, the work was much easier and went much faster.

Once those were complete, I applied 2 coats of clear semi-gloss Verathane with a light sand between. The finish is really nice, there is a subtle sheen to it and it really enhances the stain.

The next step was to install the webbed seat and back frames into the chair frames. After clamping the seats in place, I drilled into the chair frame from underneath every 4 to 6 inches. For the back pieces I first stapled on a layer of fabric overtop of the webbing then screwed them in as well. This will give a more finished look if the back cushion shifts or is removed. The 2 seats went in no problem as did the first back piece, but the 2nd back wouldn’t fit into the frame. I ended up taking it apart at one end, cutting off 1/8” on the table saw and putting it back together. It only took 15 minutes and ended up fitting perfectly.

All that is left to do is stuff the 2 remaining cushions, sew all 4 closed and finish off the backs of the chairs. For the backs I will staple a piece of fabric and add piping around the edges. At least that is the plan so far…I could also staple the fabric to a piece of cardboard and use finishing nails to secure it. We’ll see how I feel next week.

And now we know: I think my husband is actually impressed! He asked if I though I had gone into the wrong line of work, which is nice to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment