Monday, September 19, 2011

Updating the Front Room Bookcases

We inherited these 4 old bookcases – 3 faux wood with gold trim that came with the house and 1 lower one from Tom’s aunt. Soon after moving in I painted them all white with melamine paint.

Over the past couple of years out book collection has grown and we’ve run out of space on our hand-me-down shelves. I chose to add an additional shelf to each of the 3 tall bookcases. To start I adjusted all the existing shelves so the openings were more evenly spaced, including drilling all new holes as the existing ones are never in the right place, and ensured they were aligned all the way across. I then cut 3 new shelves, sanded, primed and painted them.

Installation involved drilling more screws and then re-arranging all the books so they look good. A small and easy project after the table building adventure.

And now we know: they no longer sell melamine paint, I won’t miss the smell…

No comments:

Post a Comment