Monday, December 27, 2010

Table done! Mirror done!

Finally done, this table took way longer than expected. I find staining and clear coats always take so much longer than expected as I ended up putting on a coat, going away to let it dry and then not making it back till the next day. Even though a coat is about 20 minutes, trying to fit it in between the kitchen, baking, etc is never easy.

Here is the final product; sanded, 3 coats of stain, 2 coats of rub on poly and a left over drawer pull from the kitchen.


The new mirror frame is also complete. Same finish; 3 coats of stain and 2 of poly. To attach the wood frame to the mirror, I wanted to use PL construction adhesive cause it worked so well attaching the bathroom sink to the vanity and cause I had some left over. Well, it hardens really well, even in the unopened tube, so that was out. One emergency trip out later, I found a small tube of similar stuff and it worked great, expanding into a hard foam substance.

So here is the mirror, hung in our front entry.


And now we know: Finishing takes so long cause I take 5 days to do it and not consecutive days. Oil based products do work better; I will definitely stick with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment