Sunday, May 2, 2010

Construction of a Vanity

At the end of May we are re-doing our bathroom. The water damage is just gross and the rotting of the sub-floor concerns us. So with a small budget, I decided to tackle constructing our own vanity. My husband just shook his head.

Here are the plans I drew up. We are re-using the existing sink which covers the entire top of the vanity:

I started with a large sheet of birch veneer plywood and started cutting with a circular saw. In the end I had to visit my grandfather-in-law and use the table saw to clean up some of the cuts. Wow is that a more efficient tool for cutting this type of thing!

Also, it seemed like a good idea to use wood dowels to assemble the pieces so you wouldn’t seem any screw heads. I thought it would be easy; drill two holes, add some glue and press them together. Well turns out it is hard to line up the holes perfectly without a jig. So we went out and bought a nail gun, the most fun tool ever. After that assembly was a piece of cake.

This is how it currently looks, waiting for stain and serving as a play house for the cat:

And now we know: Nail heads are small and hardly even show after you patch them. (maybe, I think, hopefully) I still don’t know how to get those dowel holes to line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment