Sunday, September 22, 2013

End Table & Chairs

Now that we have the fancy new sectional in the back room, we need another light, so there is one at each end. I decided to build an end table so there is something to put the light on and also a spot for drinks. Also for the fun of it. Here is the design:
I started by cutting the legs out of ¾” square oak leftover from the kitchen face frames. This was assembled with glue and nails. 
Then I cut and assembled the box using pocket holes for the base and dowel joints for the top. I used pine boards I had on hand, but unfortunately my drilling for the dowels was too enthusiastic and I went through the top piece…so I’m going to have to buy a new board for that.
Since I ran out of wood, I cut the remainder of the front legs for the new dining chairs.
Once those were complete, I cut the first of the back rails. I really wanted to do these chairs as efficiently as possible and I though that would be with a band saw. That hasn’t worked out yet, so I used a circular saw with a straight edge clamped in place, then finish the inner corners with a jigsaw. It is slooowww going, constantly adjusting and re-measuring to ensure everything is lined up properly. 
And know we know: use that guide for the drill but that prevents it going in too far. The tape on the bit wears off quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment