Sunday, March 6, 2011

A 2nd Roof Leak

Here’s the breakdown of our weekend:

Saturday night: oh look at that the drywall behind out TV is all wet and the floor has a pool of water on it. The roof must be leaking on the other side of the house now. In a panic I call my parents and Tom starts calling around to borrow an axe. My parents volunteer to come over and help (at 9pm on a Saturday!), Tom leaves to go purchase an axe. After a couple of stores with no luck (walmart: we do not sell axes as they could be used as a weapon…right then), Tom resorts to borrowing one from his grandparents. In the mean time, my father has spent ½ an hour on the roof clearing the snow and the axe is no longer needed. We decide to call it a night.

Sunday morning: My parents and brother head over to help with clearing the roof off. This becomes a long undertaking due to the massive ice damns that have formed on our gutters. About an hour in I get sick and spend the rest of the day on the couch. After many hours of chopping and shovelling, they caulk the area above the leak and call it a day.

The saga will continue in the spring when it is warm enough to properly assess the damage to the roof. Winter has been tough on our back room. I choose to think we have been blessed as the damage is in the form of a cross ;) Tom just worries and anticipates the mess replacing the drywall will be.

And now we know: we seem to have an insulation problem, as in not enough, that is contributing to the downfall of our roof. I see roof repairs in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment